- It had to be designed so that almost anyone with management or leadership skills could confidently pick up the coach’s manuals and begin to disciple others.
- The leader’s manual had to be simple to use, true to the Bible, and reduce any chance of incorrect doctrines being added by immature leadership.
- It had to be designed in a manner that it wasn’t to be dependent upon us, in other words, we had to provide enough information that anyone could implement the discipleship path with minimal supervision or oversight from us.
- It had to quickly establish a new believer by applying Biblical principles practically to everyday life.
- It had to take them on an intentional discipleship path from a new believer to a coach or small group leader, discipling others in 6-12 months or less.
- It had to be based on a study Bible that was well developed, enabling us to page number all the Bible verses, making it easy for a new Christian to look up the references.
- It had to lay out foundational truths, such as the two spiritual kingdoms, who God is, why Jesus came, the person of the Holy Spirit, the existence and purpose of angels, and how to get free of the baggage a new follower of Jesus Christ brings from their old life into their new Christian life.
- It had to teach a new disciple what the Bible says about how God meant us to live life, how to realign their character with godly principles and discover their God-given gifts.
- It was important to teach them how to pray and bring others into God’s kingdom and out of the kingdom of darkness.
- It had to teach them how to disciple others, that is, those they had prayed into the kingdom of Light.
- It had to be flexible so that it could be run in almost any time frame and setting, from one-on-one, a small group setting, a classroom setting with breakout groups, or via online gatherings.
My early experiences as a new a Christian
When I first became a new Christian I had no idea on how to unlock the Bible and apply it to a new way of thinking and living. I had no idea on where to begin.
I knew God was real because of a very powerful encounter with God on the day of my conversion to Christianity, May 23rd, 1990.
I had no idea of the different versions of the Bible. Some well-meaning Christians gave me a “Good News” version of the Bible and told me to read a specific section. But without instructions or using a study Bible that at least had commentaries it was very difficult.
Other Christian leaders gave me some basic Bible study materials, but all of these were based on the assumption that I had some church and Christian background.
I found most discipleship materials are fragmented, lack an intentional discipleship path, denominational driven, in other words, selective reading and deliberately ignoring some aspects of what the Bible says. Plus they contained a “Christianise” language and a culture that made it difficult for “newbies” like me to understand.
Zero Church background
I had zero church background. I had no idea why Jesus came to earth, who the Holy Spirit is, and as I read the Old Testament, God looked like someone who had a big stick and if you made a mistake you would be zapped by Him!
I found that most Christian Discipleship materials are akin to throwing someone into the deep end of a swimming pool and saying, “Here, figure out how to swim.” Thankfully, persistence is one of my attributes and I doggedly persisted. I kept buying various Bible versions and finally came across the NKJV Spirit Filled Life Study Bible. Once I learnt how to use their study notes the Bible came alive and I grew in my knowledge and walk with God.
Growing Deep and Strong
In 2001 I embarked on a journey of writing a Christian Discipleship course that would grow and mature a brand new believer like me who had zero church background.
It took 5-6 years and some 35,000 hours to complete and as you can see by the numerous testimonies it has been spectacularly successful and we have achieved our objectives